- Read Welcome Letter
- Student Introductions:
- Your name
- Your Company
- Your Position
- One other thing about younot work related
- Your next big career challenge
- Review scenario from CIO Leadership P.E.
- PowerPoint Lecture: IT Themes and Trends
- How to write an Article Review (AR): Show Them the Money by Mike Hugos Leadership (Lecture #1)
- Preview CIO Survey Results
- The Five Roles of Executive Leadership
- Introduction to Calculating ROIs
- Introduction to the CSR Easy P.E.
- Comparing IT Investment Options:
- How to calculate ROI and Internal Rate of Return (I.R.R.)
Student small group project: Outline the solution for the ROI case study. Address all four parts of the homework and be prepared to present your results later this afternoon.
- Student presentations and class critique of small group ROI exercise
- PowerPoint Lecture: Some Thoughts on ROI
- Class Discussion on IT Alignment:
- What is IT Alignment?
- What are common misconceptions about IT Alignment? (And why are these bad?)
- What are the advantages of doing IT alignment properly?
- What are the challenges that the CIO will face when he first tries to introduce IT Alignment to the organization?
- What skills should the CIO have in order to be successful in IT Alignment in the areas of:
- business skills
- communication skills
- political skills?
- Discuss example strategic business goals
- PowerPoint Lecture: The Five Steps of I.T. Alignment
- In-class group project outlining the IT Alignment for selected student companies
- Presentation of group results
Review and elaboration on key points learned yesterday
Continuation of group exercises on IT Alignment
Discussion of results and lessons learned from group exercise
An example IT Alignment plan by Deloitte for Kemet
PowerPoint Lecture: Whats Hard About IT Alignment?
- Business 101 Lecture: Classical CXO Business Perspectives and Agendas
- Class discussion: Corporate Political Capital
- What is it?
- Why do you need it?
- How do you accumulate it?
- Review and discuss: Four Models for accumulating Corporate Political Capital
Review of selected questions from the book The Power of Role PowerPoint Lecture: How to create an Effective 5-Slide Presentation that gets CXO Support for your IT Projects
Review of lessons learned from homework and projects for previous nine weeks
USAA case study review and analysis
Development of plan for business skill development in the management ranks of your IT organization
In class, begin a plan for business skill development in the management
ranks of your IT organization
Include the justification for each component by citing the expected return in customer service and IT productivity
- Whats hard about IT Alignment? (PowerPoint presentation and discussion)
- The major challenges facing todays CIOs
- IT Governance defined
- The advantages of IT Governance
- The management and politics of IT Governance
- Class discussion of the following questions (this is part of your Project#3):
- (1) What is IT Governance?
- (2) What are the advantages of implementing IT Governance?
- (3) What are the challenges that the CIO will face when he first tries to introduce IT Governance to the organization?
- (4) What skills should the CIO have in order to be successful in IT
- Governance in the areas of:
- (a) business skills,
- (b) communication skills,
- (c) focus, and
- (d) political skills?
- The classical Model of IT Governance
- The Enterprise Risk Management
- Model of IT Governance
Review of critical lessons learned in yesterdays class
- The Caldwell Model and Routh Model of IT Governance
- Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each of the four models of IT Governance. Which one is right for your company?
- Class critique of student presentations they made for CXOs during week 5 (previous homework). Each student will present some (or all) of their CXO PowerPoint presentations and the class will conduct group discussions on how they can be improved.
- Introduce the Caldwell Strategy Map.
- Second lecture on Executive Leadership
- Lectures and Discussions: How does the CIO Apply the lessons of The
- Experience Economy in the Workplace.
- Lecture on early adoption strategies and the Gartner Hype Cycle
- Leadership class Practical Exercise: What are the tools needed to transform a Cost-Center CIO into a
- Profit-Center CIO. (The analysis of the Rock-Cost center-Profit center CIO diagram.)